Download the Versa Mini Installation Instructions.
The Versa Mini is a compact wireless security contact that can be installed on windows, doors, and many other objects that open and close. The Mini is equipped with a Bluefield™ LED that glows blue when a magnetic field comes within range of the sensor during startup, and is also equipped with a green LED that flashes upon proper initial startup and each time a signal is transmitted to the control panel. Signal transmission occurs when a magnet is brought within range or is moved out of range of the sensor.
The Mini is also equipped with a red LED that will flash to indicate when the battery has reached the low battery operating level for the sensor. A low battery signal will also be transmitted to the control panel.
Note: The Bluefield™ and green signal LED’s are operational when the cover is removed and will operate for 3 minutes after the cover has been installed. To restart these LED functions, remove the cover. A tamper switch has also been added for additional security.
Installing the Versa Mini
Note: Always test in place before securing the Mini to it’s final location.
- Select the desired location for the Mini and magnet and insert the battery (positive side up¹) into the base of the Mini. See figure 1.
- Hold the sensor up in the desired location and temporarily tape in place. Now hold the magnet up to its desired location. If the magnet is within range to trigger the sensor, the Mini’s Bluefield™ LED arrow will glow, ensuring proper placement. See figure 2.
- If the Bluefield™ LED arrow does not glow, position or orientate the magnet closer to the Mini, or in some cases use a larger magnet to bridge the gap.
- Once the correct location of the magnet has been found, fix the Mini and magnet in place with the included 3M 4945.
- To remove the top of the Mini, use a small flathead screwdriver and twist the top cover off utilizing the recessed indents on the sides of the sensor.
- Set the panel to sensor learning mode. Press and release the tamper switch on the sensor until the panel responds.
- Replace the top of the sensor.
- Exit program mode.
Before mounting the sensor, verify that the sensor mounting location provides good RF communication to the panel. To verify, do the following:
- Put the control panel into sensor test mode.
- With the cover off (or during 3 minutes after replacing the lid) hold the magnet up to the Mini so that the Bluefield™ LED is illuminated and then pull the magnet away from the sensor. You will see the green signal LED flash indicating a signal has been transmitted.
- Listen for siren or keypad beeps to determine appropriate response (refer to the control panel installation instructions).
- Exit sensor test mode.²
When installing the Mini on a door or window, mount the sensor on the frame and the magnet on the door or opening portion of the window. This is to ensure that the sensor receives the least amount of movement as changing the orientation of a wireless device can effect it’s performance.
- If possible, place the Mini within 100 ft. of the security panel. While a transmitter may have an open air range of 500+ feet, a home and office environment can have different effects on the transmitter’s range. Sometimes a change in the Mini's orientation can help enhance the wireless transmission.
- Avoid mounting the Mini in areas where it will be exposed to moisture or where the operating temperature of 32 to 120ºF (0 to 50ºC) will be exceeded.
- Keep the Mini and magnet away from metal or metallic surfaces such as foil wallpaper.
- Avoid mounting the Mini in areas with a large quantity of metal or electrical wiring, such as a furnace or utility room as this can greatly affect the transmitting signal.
- Make sure the surface of the door or window frame is free of dust and film as this can affect tape adhesion.
This device complies with FCC Rules Part 15. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
- This device may not cause harmful interference.
- This device must accept any interference that may be received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.⁴
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by Versa Wireless Inc. can void the user’s authority to operate the equipment. Le présent appareil est conforme aux CNR d'Industrie Canada applicables aux appareils radio exempts de licence. L'exploitation est autorisée aux deux conditions suivantes : (1) l'appareil ne doit pas produire de brouillage, et (2) l'utilisateur de l'appareil doit accepter tout brouillage radioélectrique subi, même si le brouillage est susceptible d'en compromettre le fonctionnement.
¹ Improper installation of battery may cause damage to the unit.
² For UL compliance refer to control panel manufactures installation instructions for allowed signal strength for sensors. The sensors are to be verified to have the required signal strength during installation.
³ A low battery condition occurs at 2.3VDC.
⁴ For UL compliance the units are for residential use only.